Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#400 and #399)

(#400, Zenyatta Mondatta by The Police)

While this is the only album by The Police that did not make Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, this is the album I choose to kick of my top 400.  It's still hard to fathom that these three incredible musicians haven't recorded a note of new music in over 30 years, but much like Billy Joel, if they announced tomorrow a world tour, they would sell out every ticket, in every town, in about 30 minutes.  I still regret to this the day the decision not to see Elvis Costello and The Police in the summer of 2008.  While everyone is familiar with "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da", there are a number of other great songs on this record, namely "When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Around", "Canary in a Coalmine, "Voices Inside My Head", "Man in a Suitcase" and the instrumental that ends the record, "The Other Way of Stopping".

Let's all go down memory lane, and watch the video for "Don't Stand So Close To Me" ...




(#399, OK Computer by Radiohead)

I guess this is where roundtable discussion begins.  Many reading this would put this in their personal top 10, some have never heard this, and some have claimed that records like this make them feel stupid.  For me, OK Computer is a great piece of art rock, that can be appreciated when the time is right, but should not be overplayed.  This is an example of a record that I pull out about once a year, I always enjoy it, but by the end of it, I feel exhausted, and couldn't imagine giving it another go for a long time.







Up until this morning, I had never seen this before.  It's the video for "Paranoid Android" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment