Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#332 and #331)

(#332, Plans by Death Cab for Cutie)

When principle song writer and lead singer Ben Gibbard was asked what the theme of this record is, he responded by saying, "How do you make God laugh?  You make a plan.  Nobody ever makes a plan that they're gonna go out and get hit by a car.  A plan almost always has a happy ending.  Essentially, every plan is a tiny prayer.  I really like the idea of a plan not being seen as having definite outcomes, but more like little wishes."  Well said.

Pound for pound, I believe their playing on this record is the best of their career, the production value is top notch, and there are some great songs.  This is one of my favorite bands, so there are a number of their records that will rank higher than this one, but we are starting to get into the essential albums territory of this list.  I listen to this album quite a lot, and like most of their stuff, these records will continue to be staples in my earbuds for a long, long time.

This is "Soul Meets Body" ...




(#331, Summerteeth by Wilco)

I don't think there is another band on this list that I have a more hot and cold relationship with than Wilco.  Was introduced to them in 2003, didn't like "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" at all, kind of gave up on them, then heard "A.M.", and loved it, decided to give "YHF" another spin, decided I liked it, found this album, "Summerteeth", instantly loved it, fell in and out of love with "A Ghost is Born", fell in and out of love with "Sky Blue Sky", never really embraced the last two records, and then grew to really like "YHF".  The two constants have been that I've always liked this one, and I still love "A.M."  I don't really understand the 23 seconds of silence (kind of annoying when I land on it during shuffle), but all in all, this is the goods.




Here's "Via Chicago", via Nashville, TN ...








No comments:

Post a Comment