Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#358 and #357)

(#358, Stay Positive by The Hold Steady)

This is the fourth album from the Hold Steady, and at the time of this release, this album probably showed more artistic growth from one album to the next in their brief history as a band. Many of the previous themes are still there, but this record indicates that they have matured as players and songwriters.

I've heard a number or Hold Steady "purists" indicate that this was them selling out, and I couldn't disagree more.  If anything, I look at this album as a courageous movement in a slightly different direction, while still incorporating the spirit we've all loved for years.




As much as I love their records, The Hold Steady have to be experienced live.  This is "Constructive Summer".  Hopefully we get another Summerfest show, with the new record coming out soon.




(#357, Songs and Music from the Motion Picture "She's the One" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)

Although I've never seen Petty live, I've always considered myself a big fan.  We all have a copy of his greatest hits, and it's in every jukebox in America.  When I saw this at Camelot, I hadn't even heard of the movie, but I bought it anyway. Comedy Central started to show the movie constantly, it seemed like every day for a while, and the movie became one of my favorites.  What I like about the record is that, with a few tweaks here and there, this could have stood out as a proper Petty album, with no connection to the movie, and quite honestly, I don't necessarily think of the movie when sitting down to listen to this.  The movie, and this soundtrack, are still favorites of mine, 18 years later ...


Here's the very cool video for "Walls (Circus)" ...








No comments:

Post a Comment