Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#360 and #359)

(#360, Brutal Youth by Elvis Costello)

Released in March of 1994, this was the first album in 8 years that Costello recorded with his band, The Attractions, as the previous two (Spike and Mighty Like a Rose) were predominantly recorded with session musicians.  The songs and sound on this record feel nostalgic, borrowing themes and moods from his earlier records.  If you are wondering, that is indeed a very young Declan MacManus on the left.  Personal favorites of mine from this record are "Pony St", "Kinder Murder", "This is Hell", "20% Amnesia", "Sulky Girl" and "My Science Fiction Twin".





Here's a performance from Later ... with Jools Holland, featuring "Rocking Horse Road" and "Kinder Murder" ...




(#359, Sha Sha by Ben Kweller)

When I was living in Eagan, MN in 2002, I ordered Weezer's new live EP, "The Lion and the Witch" from their website, and I received a Ben Kweller compilation DVD with it for free.  I'm still not sure why.  But I liked what I saw, and went out and bought his debut album a few days later.  This is still one of my favorite debut albums of all time.   "Wasted and Ready" and "Family Tree" both ranked very high in 2010 when I created Fugazzi Grand, a list of my top 1000 favorite songs of all time.  This is a definite much have in your collection.






This is "Wasted and Ready" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment