Sunday, March 9, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#364 and #363)

(#364, Once Again by John Legend)

With Billy Joel basically retired from songwriting since 1993, I need a couple of great piano players in my arsenal, and I think I've found a really good one here.  And vocally, there aren't too many in popular music that can compare with John Legend these days.












If you're not one of the 11 million people that have seen this, here's "Save Room" ...




(#363, Ancient Melodies of the Future by Built To Spill)

When I became an employee of UW Credit Union in 2003, I had to spend about 4 weeks in Madison for training, and my nights were pretty much spent watching VH1 Classic and browsing record stores.  On my first night in Madison, I spent about an hour in the Barnes and Noble music section, which was surprisingly well stocked with a lot of indie stuff I'd never heard of.  I was really expecting to see several different versions of "The Essential Anne Murray", and things of that nature, but I walked out that night with three records I bought on impulse.  The three albums were by bands named Flunk, Folk Implosion and this band, Built to Spill.  Flunk was pure impulse, never heard of them.  The other two were based on a conversation I had with my new friend, Todd Kemper, earlier that day.  Ancient Melodies of the Future is the only one of those records of the three I bought that night that I still own, and I still spend a lot of time with this one.  They've only released two records since this one came out in 2001, so it doesn't sound like they are active these days, but this will always be a favorite.


This is "Strange", the opening track of the record ...

No comments:

Post a Comment