Monday, March 24, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#336 and #335)

(#336, Highway Companion by Tom Petty)

Tom Petty is perhaps my favorite artist that I've never seen live.  And while he's best known as the front man of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, I have all three of his solo records represented on Fugazzi Grand III, while only two of his Heartbreakers records made the final cut.

This was apparently supposed to be Petty's final record, but the Heartbreakers came back four years later and released "Mojo", and it sounds like there's another one in the making, coming later this year.

This is a record that I've come to love to listen to while I'm in the car, especially in the summer months.  There really isn't a weak track on this record.  Some of my personal favorites are "Saving Grace", "Square One", "Jack", "Damaged by Love" and "This Old Town".

This is "Saving Grace" ...




(#335, Call off the Search by Katie Melua)

This was recommended by Sue Benson, and at the time, I hadn't heard of her.  I think I spent an entire weekend with this record, and was just blown away by her vocals, and these songs.  Jamie Armata came through for me with a number of her other albums a few years later, but none of them have been able to touch her debut.











This is "The Closest Thing to Crazy" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment