Saturday, March 22, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#340 and #339)

(#340, At Some Point, Birds and Flowers Became Interesting by The Special Goodness)

AKA as "The Pinecone Record", this was their self-released album from 2001, which I believe had a very limited release and is currently out of print.  The Special Goodness is the brain child of Patrick Wilson, Weezer's drummer, and he proves on this record that he's a pretty decent guitar player as well.  This album has a certain charm that the two records that followed this lacked.  My favorites are "You Know I'd Like to See...", "The Story is Wrong", "Life Goes By", "Say It", "Reason to Worry" and the album closer "Happy".




Here's a live version of "Life Goes By" ...




(#339, Dig Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds)

I wasn't too familiar with Nick Cave when I heard him on the Paste samplers in 2008, but I liked what I heard enough to ask Jamie Armata to throw a copy of this my way.  Since I haven't heard any of his other records, I'm not sure if his spoken word approach to vocals is the norm for him, or specific to this record, but it works here.










This is the video for the title track ...

No comments:

Post a Comment