Monday, March 3, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#378 and #377)

(#378, The People's Key by Bright Eyes)

I am fascinated with Conor Oberst.  I am not ready to say he's one of my favorite artists, but I feel that if I gave him and his music the proper time, I could become one.  As it turns out, this is the only Bright Eyes record I own, I bought it on impulse at Best Buy when they were slingin' it for $6.99 or something like that.  I've always liked it when they were featured on Paste, and I really enjoy his Outer South album he recorded with the Mystic Valley Band.  This record has the feel of a concept album with spoken word prose by Denny Brewer popping up all over the record.  I seem to like it more and more with each listen.




This is cool.  The band holding a listening party for the entire record, two weeks before it came out ... But as you will see, it's pretty much just Conor Oberst, a few other dudes, and a dog ... this is worth your time.




(#377, Easy Tiger by Ryan Adams)

I honestly don't know why Ryan Adams isn't a much bigger star that he is, and in a way, maybe that's a good thing.  Often times, when an artist blows up, they change, and their music changes. One thing I've always loved about Ryan Adams is how honest his music sounds, at least to me. This is another artist that I would love to spend an entire weekend getting familiar with the rest of his stuff.  My favorites here are "Goodnight Rose", "The Sun Also Sets" and "I Taught Myself How to Grow Old".







This is a live performance of "Goodnight Rose" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment