Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#372 and #371)

(#372, Stephen Malkmus by Stephen Malkmus)

Once again, Todd Kemper gets full credit for me being a fan of this man, and his band, Pavement.  Never heard of him until Todd and I started working together at UW Credit Union in 2003, and several of his recordings are now represented in Fugazzi Grand III.  This is Malkmus' first solo record, and took me a while to get into.  If i'm not mistaken, this is one of Todd's favorite albums of all time.  I appreciate Stephen Malkmus for who he is.  He writes songs that are catchy, writes lyrics that are fun, and I really enjoy listening to his stuff.






This is "Phantasies" ...




(#371, I Learned the Hard Way by Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings)

What has two thumbs, and is going to see this incredible band at The Pabst tonight.  This guy!  I've been a huge fan of Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings ever since they were the very first thing I ever heard on a Paste Sampler in late 2007.  I remember buying this record at Best Buy the day it came out, and listened to it so many times, I actually had to buy it again.  Somehow, in those first three months of listening to it, a few of the tracks began to skip.  Take that as a compliment! So many great songs here ... "The Game Gets Old", "I Learned the Hard Way", "Better Things" ... but my favorite song from his album is "She Ain't a Child No More".



... and here's a great live version of "She Ain't a Child No More" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment