Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#442 and #441)

(#442, Do the Collapse by Guided By Voices)

Robert Pollard.  The most prolific songwriting factory of the past 30 years.  This is the GBV record that Ric Ocasek produced, which gave the album a glossier feel than most of the Guided By Voices discography over the years.  Like most GBV / Pollard albums, this album has 5-6 incredible songs, and a few stinkers, but that's what gives a Pollard album its character.  The standout tracks here are "Zoo Pie", "Things I Will Keep", "Dragons Awake!" "Much Better Mr Buckles" and "Liquid Indian".  This has become a favorite of mine on Saturday afternoons.







Take a listen to "Things I Will Keep" ...




(#441, 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day)

As far as Green Day "rock operas" go, I didn't really care for "American Idiot", but I really enjoy this one.  Maybe it's Butch Vig.  The album is made up of 3 acts ... Heroes and Cons, Charlatans and Saints, and Horseshoes and Handgrenades.  I've said this before, if you make a 70 minute record, it has to be really good in order for me to stay engaged.  This is something I like to listen to on longer car rides.










This is the official video for "Know Your Enemy" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment