Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#492 and #491)

(#492, Painted From Memory by Elvis Costello w/Burt Bacharach)

I am a huge fan of Elvis Costello, but have only been familiar with his discography since about 2003.  Before that, I believe I had 2 or 3 records, a greatest hits two-disc set, and this.  I bought this shortly after these two men appeared in the Austin Powers sequel in 1999.  Much like Springsteen's "The Ghost of Tom Joad", I've grown to like the more as I get older.  Costello has slowly become my favorite artist, because of his ability to never do the same thing twice, and at the same time always remain interesting and relevant.  Perhaps this isn't the place to start if you are new to Elvis Costello, especially since you're not getting any Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas or Bruce Thomas, but if become a fan, over time, this will be a solid addition to your record collection.

Here is "Toledo" from their performance on Sessions at West 54th ...




(#491, Harry Connick Jr by Harry Connick Jr)

I became a fan of Harry Connick Jr in 1994, when "(I Could Only) Whisper Your Name was a brief staple on WKTI here in Milwaukee.  I immediately became familiar with the back catalog, which ended up being nothing like "She" or "Star Turtle", but it didn't matter.  What a voice!  This particular album consists of all instrumentals, and was recorded in 1987, prior to lending his talents to the "When Harry Met Sally" soundtrack.  I'm a huge fan of instrumental music, and quite honestly, I don't own nearly enough of it.






Take a listen to "Sunny Side of the Street" from this self-titled recording ...

No comments:

Post a Comment