Monday, January 27, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#448 and #447)

(#448, Born in the U.S.A. by Bruce Springsteen)

This album almost didn't make the list, for the same reasons I almost did not include "The Bridge" by Billy Joel.  There are some great songs on this record.  And it reminds me of childhood.  I can't tell you how many times Scott Etzel and I listened to this together in third grade.  But, just like "The Bridge", I've always seen this album has a collection of songs, that don't really fit together.  This is probably an unpopular opinion, as I know many of my friends rank this record pretty high on their lists.  Rolling Stone ranks it # 86 of all time.  Let's put it this way ... if I was ranking my all time favorite Springsteen songs, 3 or 4 would be from this record, but 2 or 3 would be considered my least favorite of his songs.  In the end, that's what keeps this from being ranked higher.  This is the Springsteen album I'm most likely to shuffle, rather than listen to all the way through, much like "The Bridge" by Billy Joel.


This is an awesome performance of "Glory Days" from Glastonbury 2009.




(#447, four by Blues Traveler)

Look, if you wanna sit here and tell me that you didn't own a copy of this in 1995, I can't prove that you're lying to me, but I won't be able to trust you anymore if you're gonna stick to that.  This album owned 1995 like "Sports" owned 1984.  As it turns out, when I moved back to Wisconsin from Minnesota in 2002, I believe this is one of the records I gave to Rita Aron.  I re-purchased it at The Exclusive Company recently for $2.99.  Still sounds as good as it did 19 years ago.









I've always enjoyed the video for "Hook", featuring the late Ken Ober, so here it is ...




No comments:

Post a Comment