Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#468 and #467)

(#468, Get Sharp by Limousines)

When I committed to see Weezer play their "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton" full album shows in Chicago three years ago, I wasn't aware that they would have an opening act.  That opening act was Limousines, and I would have to say they were the best opening act I'd seen since Guster in 2000.  You won't find their genre of music playing from my car or home too often (indietronica, I guess the kids are calling it), but I pull this out quite often, and haven't tired of it like I thought I might have.

One thing I'll never forget is the first night I saw them play, Eric Victorino gave a heartfelt thank you to the audience for coming out, and a big thanks to Weezer for putting them on the bill.  He seemed very humble, then almost immediately after that, I hear him say, "This song is about masturbation".

Here is that song ... it's called "Very Busy People".




(#467, New by Paul McCartney)

Paul McCartney is going to be 72 years old by the time this list is completed.  I hope I'm half as productive as he is when I'm 42, let alone 72.  This is his newest album, aptly titled "New", and features a wide range of musical flavors.  McCartney used four different producers on this album, and clearly isn't afraid to try new things in the studio. This is a fantastic recording, and I wish Billy Joel would take a hint from a fellow legend, and get back in the studio himself.






Take a listen to "Queenie Eye" from the new record ...

No comments:

Post a Comment