Friday, January 3, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#496 and #495)

(#496, Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin)

This record is important in that is was the album that the band decided to expand on their mostly hard rock sound into some acoustic and folk sensibilities.  While critics panned it at first, it's become known as the album that would bridge the gap between their first two records and what their sound would evolve into over the next 10 years.










Here's a live version of "Immigrant Song" from the record ...




(#495, Ganging Up on the Sun by Guster)

In 2000, I took a few friends to The Bradley Center to see Barenaked Ladies.  We walked in while the opening band was just starting to kick things off.  I noticed that the crowd was really into them, and I loved their song.  They were not referenced on our tickets, so I didn't know who they were.  I asked someone what they were called, and I thought the young lady said "Duster", so that's what I looked for at Exclusive Company the next day.  Obviously, I couldn't find it, so I quickly went through the alphabet and searched ... Buster? nope.  Custer? nope.  Guster?  What the hell's a guster?  WAIT.  HERE IT IS!!  Found three albums.  Bought all three ... Guster would become one of my favorite bands, and their Summerfest shows have become legendary.  This record came out in the summer of 2006, and to this date, is still their biggest seller.

Here's Guster performing "Satellite" on Live From Daryl's House ...

No comments:

Post a Comment