Saturday, January 4, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#494 and #493)

(#494, Highway to Hell by AC/DC)

Devil music.  That's what I was told this was growing up.  And look at Angus on the cover!  After further review, this is just straight up rock n roll, done at its best.  This is Bon Scott's last record with the band, as he would die from alcohol poisoning less than a year after this was released.   My cousin Jimmy lived for AC/DC and Metallica, and it wasn't exactly my cup of tea as child.  It took Howard Stern and The World Wrestling Federation to help get me to listen to these records.  Stern used "You Shook Me All Night Long" in Private Parts, and the WWF used "Highway to Hell" as the theme to Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker's match at SummerSlam 1998.  Shazbot - na-nu-na-nu ...



Here's AC/DC performing "Highway to Hell" live in 2009 ...




(#493, Artpop by Lady Gaga)

The first time I saw Lady Gaga on SNL, I didn't want to like it.  But I instantly loved her.  I think the comparison's to Madonna are lazy, and that's not a shot at Madonna, but Lady Gaga is very unique.  Now despite liking her performance on SNL, I never bothered to buy the records.  That is, until a few months back.  I had a gift card for Best Buy, and bought this on impulse.  The cashier asked, "Is this for your daughter?".  I'm not sure how I responded, but I felt old.  This is a great piece of art pop (aptly named album).  It deserves to be listened to in its entirety, but the stand out tracks for me are "Swine" and "Dope".  And speaking of my daughter, when she hears "Applause" on the radio, she refers to the song as "The Light Zone".


Here's a recent live version of "Dope" ... pretty fuckin' awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment