Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#500 and #499)

(#500, The Reluctant Graveyard by Jeremy Messersmith)

I had a beautiful love affair with Paste Magazine from December of 2007 through November of 2010.  Every month, I could not wait to hear the free sampler, even created playlists of songs that were used prior to me subscribing in '07.  In July of 2011, the digital version of the magazine launched, opting to go with a 7 song weekly sampler, instead of a 20 song monthly sampler.  I stuck with it for over a year and a half, then decided in February of 2013 to create my own playlist, which I called newgazzi, and in turn, prompted me to change the name of this blog from The Litmus Configuration to newgazzi.  The monthly newgazzi playlist is what this blog has become most known for in the past 10 months, so it made sense to change the identity of the website.  That being said, I miss Paste Magazine, and right before the print version of the magazine folded, their website began to post a good number of full length albums for their subscribers to download.  This was one of those albums.  I remember downloading about 12 albums, and this was the only one I ended up really loving.  Jeremy Messersmith is a singer-songwriter, currently based out of Minneapolis, MN, who injects pop sensibilities into his tunes.  At 32:21, I've found this album to be a good companion to me while I drive to work and back.

Here is "Organ Donor", which is track #3 from the record ...




(#499, The Ghost of Tom Joad by Bruce Springsteen)

Back in 1995, my Bruce Springsteen record collection was minimal.  Born to Run, Born in the USA and a greatest hits disc.  The 20 year me that  purchased this record had a lot more testosterone than the 38 year old currently typing this, and was disappointed in what was coming from my speakers when I first heard this.  In fact, after a few listens, it would be another 6 or 7 years until I would give this the time of day again.  As I got older, and started to gain more of an appreciation for Springsteen's catalog, I would eventually come back to this and began to hear what I couldn't in my younger days.  The Ghost of Tom Joad continues in the stripped down, minimalistic approach that Nebraska took on 13 years prior.  If  you're looking for the next "Cadillac Ranch" or "Dancing in the Dark" on this record, you're wasting your time.  It's certainly not for everyone, and it took me a while to get on board, but you will learn throughout this list that there are a number of records that took me a while to really appreciate, which I think can come with personal growth.

This version of "The Ghost of Tom Joad" with Tom Morello from the 25th Anniversary Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Concert will blow your mind ...

No comments:

Post a Comment