Monday, January 13, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#474 and #473)

(#474, Making Mirrors by Gotye)

When Gotye was announced a few years back for as the musical guest on SNL, I was probably one of six or seven people on earth who hadn't heard "Somebody That I Used to Know" yet.  I saw the performance, really liked each song, and ran out to buy this the following Monday.  Then I started to hear the song on the radio, and was probably one of six or seven people on earth who didn't get tired of the song.  This is not a novelty record, like many people think he might be remembered for.  One hit wonder?  I doubt it.







Here's the performance from SNL that made me a fan ...






(#473, Souljacker by Eels)

Right before I became a father, I discovered the music of one Mark Oliver Everett on VH1's website, of all places.  It was the summer of 2005, and he had just released his double album, "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations".  I read the review, streamed the record, and became an instant fan of his music.  I'm pretty sure I now own most, if not all of his stuff.  This is a solid listen, and if the bonus disc tracks were included on the album proper, this may have been ranked even higher.








Here is a mellow version of "Fresh Feeling", as performed on Jools Holland in late 2001 ...





No comments:

Post a Comment