Monday, January 6, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#490 and #489)

(#490, Among the Leaves by Sun Kil Moon)

My buddy Todd Kemper gets full credit for introducing this band to me.  Primarily the brain child of Mark Kozelek, this album is for the most part Kozelek and his guitar.  He's gone on record to say this album very easily could have been two separate releases, but wanted to test the attention span of his listeners.  He succeeded, as there are not too many albums that will make this list that hover around the 73 minute mark.  I've always said if an album is over 45 minutes long, it better be really good.  This has become a staple of mine to listen to in bed while I'm reading.






Here's a peek at the title track ...




(#489, Amok by Atoms for Peace)

Many of you will probably question why an album that came out less than a year ago would be considered for my list of all time favorite albums.  That's a fair question.  Truth be told, there will be a good number of 2013 releases on this list, because really is a list of what I'm into RIGHT NOW.  We've all been asked the desert island question, "Which five albums would you take with you if you were going to be stranded on a desert island?".  This list comprises of the 500 albums I would take ... and I'm constantly looking for new music.  I appreciate and make time for the old stuff, sure, but I love to see hear how music evolves and spend a good amount of time with new music.  Notice how the name of the playlist isn't "oldgazzi" ?  I wasn't really sure I'd connect with this.  I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan on the planet, and some of Thom Yorke's recordings scare me.  I heard a few tracks on 88.9 here in Milwaukee, and instantly liked it.  Been listening to this in the car a lot ...

Here's the video for "Ingenue", which I featured on newgazzi Vol 2 last March ...

No comments:

Post a Comment