Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#444 and #443)

(#444, Harper Simon by Harper Simon)

How much do I like this record?  When I shared Fugazzi Grand : My Top 1000 Songs with all of you in 2010, this record had as many songs on it as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" did, a little album you may have heard of from his father and a guy named Art.  It's amazing how much Harper sounds like his dad, vocally.  "Tennessee" and "Berkeley Girl" are my favorites from this album.











I flipped a coin, and tails was "Berkeley Girl", so here it is  ...




(#443, Piano Man by Billy Joel)

I've never cared for "Somewhere Along the Line" but the rest of this record is incredible.  When Billy was touring in 1980 and 1981 in anticipation of the Songs in the Attic live album, many of these songs were re-recorded with a bit more "muscle", featuring Liberty DeVitto, Doug Stegmeyer and the rest of the band that would create Joel's signature sound in the late 70's and 80's.  Four of these songs were included on Fugazzi Grand : My Top 1000 Songs ... "Travelin' Prayer", "The Ballad of Billy the Kid", "Captain Jack" and of course, "Piano Man".  But if I'm being honest, I can't stand the album art ...






Billy Joel's Yankee Stadium shows in 1990 are among my favorite of his.  Here's "Piano Man" ...



No comments:

Post a Comment