Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#472 and #471)

(#472, Laughing Down Crying by Daryl Hall)

Funny story behind this record.  A few years back, I'm at an Applebee's an Wauwatosa, ordering appetizers at the bar in anticipation of another intense night of Madden's with Todd Kemper.  This really catchy song comes on, that I haven't heard before.  I looked at the bartender and said, "this guy is trying a little too hard to sound like Daryl Hall".  The song was so Goddamn catchy, that even after only hearing once, it was stuck in my head all night.  So after Madden's, I googled it, and what do you know?  It was a new Daryl Hall song.  This was also right around the time that his show, "Live from Daryl's House" starting popping up on my TV screen.  So I bought this on impulse shortly afterewards.  As it turns out, this gentleman still has the knack to create tunes that stay stuck in our head for years and years.  This is a really enjoyable album, and is the last record that T-Bone Wolk ever appeared on, before passing away in 2010.  I enjoyed this enough to go back into his catalogue and purchase his album "Sacred Songs" a few months later.

That song from Applebee's?  It's called "Talking To You (Is Like Talking to Myself)", and this is from Live From Daryl's House ...




(#471, The Features by The Features)

These guys were featured on mPlayer a few years back, and I liked what I heard.  Last May, when I was looking for tracks for newgazzi Vol 4, I stumbled upon this release.  I ended up using "This Disorder", and I named that song as my favorite song of all of 2013.  We were able to see them at Summerfest, and I thought they were pretty solid live.  This record has been in heavy rotation for the last 8 months.









Here is newgazzi's song of the year for 2013 ... "This Disorder"

No comments:

Post a Comment