Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#498 and #497)

(#498, Friend and Foe by Menomena)

Matthew Schewe introduced these gentlemen to me in 2007, and is responsible for a lot of the music on this list.  Here's a little trivia for you ... the first time I ever had Buffalo Wild Wings, it was with Matthew, Rod Stent and Brandon Starks (or as I still refer to him as, "Asian Zing").  That night, I asked Matthew to recommend two records ... one with a solid track #1, and something that will be blow my mind.  This album was not one of the two mentioned that night, but was immediately recommended when I told him that TV on the Radio's "Return to Cookie Mountain" did not blow my mind ... Menomena can be described as experimental rock, very unique instrumentation and arrangements.  I love the vocals and general mood of this record, not to mention the cool album art.

Here's track #1 from the record.  It's called "Muscle'n Flo" ...




(#497, Eine Kleine Rockmusik by Union Pulse)

10 years ago, a soft spoken young man came into my office at UW Credit Union carrying a guitar case.  We got to talking about music, and by the end of our first conversation, I committed to playing his demo in the office for our staff and members to enjoy.  That demo would soon become "Eine Kleine Rockmusik", and the gentleman behind it is James Tristan Redding.  I don't think either of us knew at the time that James would eventually become one of my daughter's favorite humans, or that in 2012, his solo debut "Walking Into Brooklyn" would be named newgazzi's album of the year.  James is a fantastic storyteller, and this album features a few of my favorite songs of his over the years.  Standout tracks include "In the Rain", "I Think I Forgot" and "Last Goodbye".  If you loved "Walking Into Brooklyn", this is a good place to become familiar with where James Tristan Redding came from ...



2 comments:

  1. This is a really positive and supportive thing for me to read, especially today! It's been a tough week, the weather is crap outside, and I miss everyone I used to know. Thank you, Joey :) please give my love to everybody. Including yourself <3

    ReplyDelete